I am still trying to get over the fact that I was allowed to be in the presence of such greatness....still in AWE! Enjoying my Nikki high :D
Video Above is Mrs.Giovanni Reading :
Deal or No Deal
My class is not sure
That I should apply to Deal or No Deal
They think I am lucky
After all
I am teaching
Them
They know I am smart they are
For example
learning
yet
They don't want to see me
Make those greedy mistakes
And push beyond
The envelope
The banker is neither friend
Nor foe
He's a machine
To think you can beat him
Is to think you will win
At Vegas or love
But I persist
My dream is a red dress
Above my knees
High-heel red sandals
And me coming over the top
The music booming
Hi Howie I will say
With a lovely smile
I don't want to play the game
I want to be it
They were born forty years after me
Yet I am younger
I know you cannot go
Through life
Unless you are willing
For love or money
To make a fool
Of yourself
Where else does the ecstasy
lie
Most simple things are good: Lines on a yellow legal pad...dimples defining a smile...a square of gray cashmere that can be a scarf...Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Some things clear are complicated: believing in a religion...trying to be a good person...getting rid of folk who depress you...Horace Silver Blowing the Blues Away
Complicated things can be clear: Dvorak's New World Symphony...Alvin Ailey's Revelations...Mae Jemison's ride in space...Mingus Live at Carnegie Hall
All things good are good: poetry...patience..a ripe tomato on the vine...a bat in flight..the new moon...me in your arms...things like that
Mrs.Giovanni Reading: Migrations


1 comment:
OMG!!! You got to meet one of my favorite poets in the whole world. I am sooo freaking jealous! So jealous. Never heard this particular poem. I'm really excited about reading her new collection of poems "Bicycles". I started reading it and it's great...a lil different from some of her early work. You gotta love the way Giovanni just says whatever the hell she wants to! Gosh did I mention I'm sooooo jealous?!
Post a Comment